Document Type : Review Article
- Maira Afridi 1
- Ishaque M.R. Muhammad 1
- Taufiq Ahmad 1
- Amjad Hussain 1
- Muhammad Akram 2
- Suresh Ghotekar 3
- Rajeshwari Oza 4
- Bishnu P. Marasini 5
1 Department of Eastern Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, University of Balochistan, Quetta, Pakistan
2 Department of Eastern Medicine, Government College University, Faisalabad, Pakistan
3 Department of Chemistry, Smt. Devkiba Mohansinhji Chauhan College of Commerce and Science, Silvassa 396 230, University of Mumbai, Dadra and Nagar Haveli (UT), India
4 Department of Chemistry, S.N. Arts, D.J.M. Commerce and B.N.S. Science College, Sangamner 422 605, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra, India
5 Department of Biotechnology, National College, Tribhuvan University, Naya Bazar, Kathmandu, Nepal
Herbal medicines are widely used as alternative treatments for various chronic diseases. They have proved to be of immense importance in treating many diseases and conditions. These medicines have potential to decrease the side effects of other drugs. In this regard Betel vine (Piper betel) leaves are known for its medicinal properties since long. It is a cash crop for many under developed Southeast Asian countries and therefore also known as “Green Gold and Green Heart" in those countries, as many people cultivate this crop to meet their both ends. The contemporary world approves its several medicinal properties as the growth of knowledge in this regard is unprecedented. The objective here is to reveal the potential effect of this plant against different diseases. Along with its tradomedicinal uses which signify its tremendous potential, it is also used towards cure of many antimicrobial ailments of great concern. The leaf extract and purified compounds are found to play a vital role and are of immense benefits in oral hygiene, anti-diabetic, cardiovascular, anti-inflammatory, and anti-ulcer. The active compounds isolated from leaf and other parts have great therapeutic role. This paper basically focus on emphasizing the varied pharmacological properties of Piper betel Linn along with its traditional uses and a cursory view of its active constituents.
- M.P. Rai, K.R. Thilakchand, P.L. Palatty, P. Rao, S. Rao, H.P. Bhat, M.S. Baliga, Piper betel Linn (betel vine), the maligned Southeast Asian medicinal plant possesses cancer preventive effects: Time to reconsider the wronged opinion. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12 (2011) 2149-2156.
- D. Pradhan, K.A. Suri, D.K. Pradhan, P. Biswasroy, Golden Heart of the Nature: Piper betle L. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 1 (2013) 147-167.
- F. Fazal, P.P. Mane, M.P. Rai, K.R. Thilakchand, H.P. Bhat, P.S. Kamble, P.L. Palatty, M.S. Baliga, The phytochemistry, traditional uses and pharmacology of Piper Betel. linn (Betel Leaf): A pan-asiatic medicinal plant. Chinese journal of integrative medicine, (2014) 1-11.
- S.K. Shah, G. Garg, D. Jhade, N. Patel, Piper betle: phytochemical, pharmacological and nutritional value in health management. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res, 38 (2016) 181-189.
- J.K. Johri, D. Shukla, P.C. Singh, A. Tandon, Betelvine (Piper betle L.) an Asian Plant with Numerous Therapeutic Values: A Brief Review. International Journal of Plant and Environment, 4 (2018) 91-96.
- N. Kumar, P. Misra, A. Dube, S. Bhattacharya, M. Dikshit, S. Ranade, Piper betle Linn. a maligned Pan-Asiatic plant with an array of pharmacological activities and prospects for drug discovery. Current science, (2010) 922-932.
- V.P.B. Rekha, M. Kollipara, B.R.S.S. Gupta, Y. Bharath, K.K. Pulicherla, A review on Piper betle L.: nature’s promising medicinal reservoir. American Journal of Ethnomedicine, 1 (2014) 276-289.
- E.S. Chauhan, J. Aishwarya, A. Singh, A. Tiwari, A review: Nutraceuticals properties of Piper betel (Paan). Am J Phytomed Clin Ther, 4 (2016) 28-41.
- S. Saini, A. Dhiman, S. Nanda, Pharmacognostical and phytochemical studies of Piper betle Linn. leaf. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 8 (2016) 222-226.
- V. Dwivedi, S. Tripathi, S., Review study on potential activity of Piper betle. J Pharmacogn Phytochem, 3 (2014) 93-98.
- M. Madhumita, P. Guha, A. Nag, Bio‐actives of betel leaf (Piper betle L.): A comprehensive review on extraction, isolation, characterization, and biological activity. Phytotherapy Research, 34 (2020) 2609-2627.
- F.A. Bangash, A.N. Hashmi, A. Mahboob, M. Zahid, B. Hamid, S.A. Muhammad, Z.U. Shah, H. Afzaal, In-vitro antibacterial activity of Piper betel leaf extracts. J App Pharm, 3 (2012) 639-646.
- N. Ramji, N. Ramji, R. Iyer, S. Chandrasekaran, Phenolic antibacterials from Piper betle in the prevention of halitosis. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 83 (2002) 149-152.
- L.D.A.M. Arawwawala, L.S.R. Arambewela, W.D. Ratnasooriya, Gastroprotective effect of Piper betle Linn. leaves grown in Sri Lanka. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 5 (2014) 38.
- M. Wirotesangthong, N. Inagaki, H. Tanaka, W. Thanakijcharoenpath, H. Nagai, Inhibitory effects of Piper betle on production of allergic mediators by bone marrow-derived mast cells and lung epithelial cells. International immunopharmacology, 8 (2008) 453-457.
- K. Venkadeswaran, A.R. Muralidharan, T. Annadurai, V.V. Ruban, M. Sundararajan, R. Anandhi, P.A. Thomas, P. Geraldine, Antihypercholesterolemic and antioxidative potential of an extract of the plant, Piper betle, and its active constituent, eugenol, in triton WR-1339-induced hypercholesterolemia in experimental rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2014 (2014).
- K.C. Nilugal, K. Perumal, R.E. Ugander, A.I. Chittor, Evaluation of wound healing activity of Piper betle leaves and stem extract in experimental Wistar Rats. Am. J. PharmTech Res, 4 (2014) 443-452.
- S. Ganguly, S. Mula, S. Chattopadhyay, M. Chatterjee, An ethanol extract of Piper betle Linn. mediates its anti‐inflammatory activity via down‐regulation of nitric oxide. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 59 (2007) 711-718.
- S. Ghotekar, A review on plant extract mediated biogenic synthesis of CdO nanoparticles and their recent applications, Asian Journal of Green Chemistry, 3 (2019) 187-200.
- P. Korde, S. Ghotekar, T. Pagar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, D. Mane, Plant Extract Assisted Eco-benevolent Synthesis of Selenium Nanoparticles-A Review on Plant Parts Involved, Characterization and Their Recent Applications, J. Chem. Rev., 2 (2020) 157-168.
- S. Ghotekar, Plant extract mediated biosynthesis of Al2O3 nanoparticles-a review on plant parts involved, characterization and applications, Nanochemistry Research, 4 (2019)163-169.
- A. Nikam, T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, K. Pagar, S. Pansambal, A review on plant extract mediated green synthesis of zirconia nanoparticles and their miscellaneous applications, J. Chem. Rev., 1 (2019) 154-163.
- T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, K. Pagar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, A review on bio-synthesized Co3O4 nanoparticles using plant extracts and their diverse applications, Journal of Chemical Reviews, 1 (2019) 260-270.
- S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, S.P. Pawar, T. Pagar, R. Oza, S. Bangale, Biological activities of biogenically synthesized fluorescent silver nanoparticles using Acanthospermum hispidum leaves extract, SN Applied Sciences, 1 (2019) 1342.
- K. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, T. Pagar, A. Nikam, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, D. Sanap, H. Dabhane, Antifungal activity of biosynthesized CuO nanoparticles using leaves extract of Moringa oleifera and their structural characterizations, Asian Journal of Nanosciences and Materials. 3 (2020) 15-23.
- S. Pansambal, K. Deshmukh, A. Savale, S. Ghotekar, O. Pardeshi, G. Jain, Y, Aher, D. Pore, Phytosynthesis and biological activities of fluorescent CuO nanoparticles using Acanthospermum hispidum L. extract, Journal of Nanostructures, 7 (2017) 165-174.
- T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, B.P. Marasini, Facile Plant Extract Mediated Eco-Benevolent Synthesis and Recent Applications of CaO-NPs: A State-of-the-art Review. Journal of Chemical Reviews, 2 (2020) 201-210.
- S. Ghotekar, H. Dabhane, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, P. Tambade, V. Medhane, A Review on Biomimetic Synthesis of Ag2O Nanoparticles using Plant Extract, Characterization and its Recent Applications. Advanced Journal of Chemistry-Section B, 2 (2020) 102-111.
- S. Ghotekar, T. Pagar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, A review on green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles via plant extract, characterization and its applications. Advanced Journal of Chemistry-Section B, 2 (2020) 128-143.
- S. Ghotekar, K. Pagar, S. Pansambal, H.C. Ananda Murthy, R. Oza, R., A review on eco-friendly synthesis of BiVO4 nanoparticle and its eclectic applications. Adv. J. Sci. Eng, 1 (2020) 106-112.
- T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, K. Pagar, R. Oza, R., Biomimetic Synthesis of CuO Nanoparticle using Capparis decidua and their Antibacterial Activity. Advanced Journal of Science and Engineering, 1 (2020) 133-137.
- H. Dabhane, S. Ghotekar, P. Tambade, V. Medhane, Plant mediated green synthesis of lanthanum oxide (La2O3) nanoparticles: A review. Asian Journal of Nanosciences and Materials, 3 (2020) 291-299.
- S.M.A. Shah, Z. Nisar, J. Nisar, M. Akram, S. Ghotekar, R. Oza, Nanobiomedicine: A New Approach of Medicinal Plants and Their Therapeutic Modalities. Journal of Materials and Environ, 12 (2021) 1-14.
- S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, M. Bilal, S.S. Pingale, R. Oza, Environmentally friendly synthesis of Cr2O3 nanoparticles: Characterization, applications and future perspective─ a review. Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, 3, (2021) 100089.
- P. Nagore, S. Ghotekar, K. Mane, A. Ghoti, M. Bilal, A. Roy, Structural Properties and Antimicrobial Activities of Polyalthia longifolia Leaf Extract-Mediated CuO Nanoparticles. BioNanoScience, 11 (2021) 579-589.