Document Type : Review Article
Assistant Professor of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Department of Neurology, Medicine Faculty, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences Tabriz, Iran
Introduction: Several studies have investigated the association between Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and pregnancy. However, the reported results are contradictory, which has caused confusion of obstetricians and gynecologists as well as neurologists concerning pregnancy planning of women with MS. Hence, the present study aimed to investigate.
Methods: We systematically searched PubMed, Science Direct, Scopus, Web of Science, and Google Scholar databases and national databases (SID and MAGIRAN) to identify relevant studies published from 2000 to 2020, either in English or Persian, using the following keywords: autoimmune, hormonal disorders, pregnancy, menstrual cycle, multiple sclerosis, pre-pregnancy, post-pregnancy, and lactation. The keywords were combined using Boolean functions of AND and OR.
Results: In total, 46 studies were identified. The results of these studies were reviewed in terms of defining disease, hormonal changes, menstrual cycle disorders, pregnancy of MS patients, evaluation of pregnancy of MS patients, hormonal changes during pregnancy, changes in immune system responses and cells, serum exosome, disease screening during pregnancy, disease management and treatment (if needed), recommendations for pregnant women, labor care, points for breastfeeding, and disease activity after delivery.
Conclusion: Pre-pregnancy consulting for MS patients should be performed carefully to reduce recurrence rates during pregnancy. The symptoms of MS decrease during pregnancy, and there is no concern about medication. It should be noted that in nine months after delivery, the patient will return to normal condition, and special attention should be paid to drug therapy.
- M. Haghdoost, M.K. Gol, The necessity of paying more attention to the neurological and psychological problems caused by the COVID-19 pandemic during pregnancy. Health, 3(4) (2020) 8(3):243-44
- Purabdollah, F.M. Tabrizi, A. Khorami Markani, L.S. Poornaki, Intercultural sensitivity, intercultural competence and their relationship with perceived stress among nurses: evidence from Iran. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 24(7) (2021) 687-697.
- Aghamohamadi, M.K. Gol, Checklist for determining severity of pain and type and dosage of analgesics administered to patients undergoing breast surgeries. Int J Womens Health Reprod Sci, 8(2) (2020) 227-31.
- Khanbabaei Gol, N. Mobaraki-Asl, Z. Ghavami, M. Zharfi, A. Mehdinavaz Aghdam, Sexual violence against mastectomy women improved from breast cancer. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 22(5) (2019) 52-60.
- H. Abdollahi, K. Foruzan-Nia, M. Behjati, B. Bagheri, M. Khanbabayi-Gol, S. Dareshiri, A. Pishgahi, R. Zarezadeh, N. Lotfi-Naghsh, A. Lotfi-Naghsh, M. Naghavi-Behzad, The effect of preoperative intravenous paracetamol administration on postoperative fever in pediatrics cardiac surgery. Nigerian medical journal: journal of the Nigeria Medical Association, 55(5) (2014) 379.
- Nazari, L. Amani, L. Ghaderi, M. Khanbabayi Gol, Effects of probiotics on prevalence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in multitrauma patients hospitalized in neurosurgical intensive care unit: a randomized clinical trial. Trauma Monthly, 25(6) (2020) 262-268.
- Eghdam-Zamiri, M. Khanbabayi Gol, Effects of ginger capsule on treatment of nausea and vomiting in patients receiving cisplatin undergoing mastectomy: a randomized clinical trial. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 22(11) (2020) 15-21.
- Mohammadian, E. Sharifipour, R. Mansourizadeh, B. Sohrabi, A.R. Nayebi, S. Haririan, M. Farhoudi, S. Charsouei, S. Najmi, Angioplasty and stenting of symptomatic vertebral artery stenosis clinical and angiographic follow-up of 206 cases from Northwest Iran. The neuroradiology journal, 26(4) (2013) 454-463.
- Nikanfar, S. Charsouei, Z. Miabi, S. Sha'afi, M. Hashemilar, M. Farhodi, A.A. Ebrahimi, A. Khabbazi, R.R. Ghiasi, Evaluation cervical cord changes in the patients with MS and their comparison with vasculitis patients. Life Science Journal, 9(4) (2012).
- Farhoudi, H. Ayromlou, E. Sharifipour, S. Charsouei, E. Sadeghihokmabadi, M. Ahmadi, A. Afrough, Does low dose contraceptive pills increase stroke rate? A cross sectional study in North-West Iran. (2012) 28(3):501-505
- Komlakh, N. Mohseni Kabir, M. Zamani Esfahlani, S. Sadeghi, M. Zarei, Designing a Guideline for Elective and Emergency Spinal Cord Surgeries During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Trauma Monthly, 27(Especial Issue (COVID-19 and Emergency Medicine)) (2022) 1-7.
- Charsouei, M.Z. Esfahlani, A. Dorosti, R.E. Zamiri, Effects of COVID-19 pandemic on perceived stress, quality of life, and coping strategies of women with breast cancer with spinal metastasis under chemotherapy. Int. J. Women's Health Reprod. Sci, (2021) 55-60.
- Nazari, M.Z. Esfahlani, A. Dorosti, F. Mirzaei, Prevalence and risk factors for low back pain in primiparous women visiting maternity hospitals during different months of pregnancy. International Journal of Women’s Health and Reproduction Sciences,[Online], 8(4) (2020) 401-5.
- Sadati, Z.N. Khanegah, N.S. Shahri, F. Edalat, Postoperative pain experienced by the candidates for gynecological surgery with lithotomy position. Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility, 24(12) (2022) 29-34.
- Nurmeksela, S. Mikkonen, J. Kinnunen, T. Kvist, Relationships between nursing management, nurses’ job satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and medication errors at the unit Level: A correlational study. Research Square, 1(1) (2020) 1-22.
- A. Ghahroudi, A.R. Rokn, A.R. Shamshiri, N. Samiei, Does timing of implant placement affect esthetic results in single‐tooth implants? A cohort evaluation based on mPES. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 32(7) (2020) 715-725.
- R. Hosseini-Khalili, J. Thompson, A. Kehoe, N.S. Hopkinson, A. Khoshbaten, M.R. Soroush, S.E. Humphries, H. Montgomery, M. Ghanei, Angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype and late respiratory complications of mustard gas exposure. BMC Pulmonary Medicine, 8(1) (2008) 1-5.
- Birman, Investigation of the Effects of Covid-19 on Different Organs of the Body. Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research, 2(1) (2023) 24-36.
- Karimzadeh, S.M. Sajedi, S. Taram, F. Karimzadeh, Comparative evaluation of bacterial colonization on removable dental prostheses in patients with COVID-19: A clinical study. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. (2021) 1-3
- Najafi, F. Kermansaravi, E. Gangoozehi, The relationship between general health and quality of work life of nurses working in Zahedan teaching hospitals. Iranian Journal of Rehabilitation Research in Nursing, 4(2) (2018) 53-9.
- Daneste, A. Sadeghzadeh, M. Mokhtari, H. Mohammadkhani, F. Lavaee, J. Moayedi, Immunoexpression of p53 mutant-type in Iranian patients with primary and recurrence oral squamous cell carcinoma. European Journal of Translational Myology. (2023).
- Kalantari, A.H.H. Tabrizi, F. Foroohi, Determination of COVID-19 prevalence with regards to age range of patients referring to the hospitals located in western Tehran, Iran. Gene reports, 21 (2020) 100910.
- Karampela, M. Dalamaga, Could respiratory fluoroquinolones, levofloxacin and moxifloxacin, prove to be beneficial as an adjunct treatment in COVID-19?. Archives of medical research, 51(7) (2020) 741-742.
- P. Montani, B.N. Van Vliet, General physiology and pathophysiology of the renin-angiotensin system. Angiotensin vol. I, (2004) 3-29.
- Goyal, P. Chauhan, K. Chhikara, P. Gupta, M.P. Singh, Fear of COVID 2019: First suicidal case in India!. (2020) 49: 101989.
- Alijanzadeh, The frequency of medication errors and factors influencing the lack of reporting medication errors in nursing at teaching hospital of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, 2012. Journal of Health. (2015) 6 (2): 169-79.
- Barzideh, A. Choobineh, S.H. Tabatabaei, Job stress dimensions and their relationship to general health status in nurses. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal, 4(3) (2012) 17-27.
- Mileski, U. Pannu, B. Payne, E. Sterling, R. McClay, April. The impact of nurse practitioners on hospitalizations and discharges from long-term nursing facilities: a systematic review. In Healthcare (Vol. 8, No. 2 (2020) 114). MDPI.
- G.S. Borba, F.F.A. Val, V.S. Sampaio, M.A.A. Alexandre, G.C. Melo, M. Brito, M.P.G. Mourão, J.D. Brito-Sousa, D. Baía-da-Silva, M.V.F. Guerra, L.A. Hajjar, Effect of high vs low doses of chloroquine diphosphate as adjunctive therapy for patients hospitalized with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA network open, 3(4) (2020) e208857-e208857.
- J. Gadlage, J.S. Sparks, D.C. Beachboard, R.G. Cox, J.D. Doyle, C.C. Stobart, M.R. Denison, Murine hepatitis virus nonstructural protein 4 regulates virus-induced membrane modifications and replication complex function. Journal of virology, 84(1) (2010) 280-290.
- Alrabadi, S. Shawagfeh, R. Haddad, T. Mukattash, S. Abuhammad, D. Al-rabadi, R. Abu Farha, S. AlRabadi, I. Al-Faouri, Medication errors: a focus on nursing practice. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, 12(1) (2021) 78-86.
- Asadi, F. Salmani, S. Pourkhajooyi, M. Mahdavifar, Z. Royani, M. Salmani, Investigating the relationship between corona anxiety and nursing care behaviors working in corona's referral hospitals. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, 26(3) (2020) 306-319.
- Zaimzadeh, S. Ziaie, N. Mohammadzadeh, H. Alizadeh Otaghvar, A. Mottaghi, Comparison of vitamin D dietary intake among four phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome and its association with serum androgenic components. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences, 25(2) (2018) 87-96.
- Zaimzadeh, S. Ziaie, N. Mohammadzadeh, H. Alizadeh Otaghvar, A. Mottaghi, The study of dietary intake of micronutrients in four phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome separately based on Rotterdam criteria. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences, 25(3) (2018) 59-68.
- S Azizi Aram, S Bashar poor, The role of rumination, emotion regulation and responsiveness to stress in predicting of Corona anxiety (COVID-19) among nurses. Quarterly J of Nursing Management 2020; 9 (3): 8-18.
- Ghorbanizadeh, Care and precautions in performing CT Scans in children. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 12(1) (2021) 54-58.
- Maghsoodi, M. Hesabi, A. Monfared, General health and related factors in employed nurses in Medical-Educational Centers in Rasht. Journal of Holistic Nursing and Midwifery, 25(1) (2015) 63-72.
- Musaei, The Effect of Pregnancy on the Skin. Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research, 2(1) (2022) 17-23.
- H. Salehi, K. As’ adi, S.J. Mousavi, S. Shoar, Evaluation of amniotic membrane effectiveness in skin graft donor site dressing in burn patients. Indian Journal of Surgery, 77 (2015) 427-431.
- H. Salehi, M.J. Fatemi, K. Aśadi, S. Shoar, A. Der Ghazarian, R. Samimi, Electrical injury in construction workers: a special focus on injury with electrical power. Burns, 40(2) (2014) 300-304.
- Z. Nazardani, S. Nourizadeh Dehkordi, A. Ghorbani, A comprehensive evaluation of the Sports Physiotherapy curriculum. Eurasian Journal of Chemical, Medicinal and Petroleum Research, 2(1) (2022) 10-16.
- S.H. Abadi, M. Askari, K. Miri, M.N. Nia, Depression, stress and anxiety of nurses in COVID-19 pandemic in Nohe-Dey Hospital in Torbat-e-Heydariyeh city, Iran. Journal of Military Medicine, 22(6) (2020) 526-533.
- A. Helmy, M. Fawzy, A. Elaswad, A. Sobieh, S.P. Kenney, A.A. Shehata, The COVID-19 pandemic: a comprehensive review of taxonomy, genetics, epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment, and control. Journal of clinical medicine, 9(4) (2020) 1225.
- Malekpour-Dehkordi, M. Nourbakhsh, M. Shahidi, N. Sarraf, R. Sharifi, Silymarin diminishes oleic acid-induced lipid accumulation in HepG2 cells by modulating the expression of endoplasmic reticulum stress markers. Journal of Herbal Medicine, 33 (2022) 100565.
- AA Esmaeilzadeh, MM Yaseen, U Khudaynazarov, ME Al-Gazally,et al. Recent advances on the electrochemical and optical biosensing strategies for monitoring microRNA-21: a review (vol 14, pg 4449, 2022), ANALYTICAL METHODS, 15 (1) (2022) 132-132
- AA Esmaeilzadeh, M Kashian, HM Salman, MF Alsaffar, et al., Identify Biomarkers and Design Effective Multi-Target Drugs in Ovarian Cancer: Hit Network-Target Sets Model Optimizing, Biology, 11 (12) (2022) 1851
- AA Esmaeilzadeh, S Rasoolzadegan, AR Arabi, et al., Cytotoxic study of green synthesized pure and Ag-doped α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles on breast cancer (MCF-7) cell line, Nanomedicine Research Journal, 7 (4) (2022) 370-377
- AA Esmaeilzadeh, Mohammad Ghenaat, Pisheh Sanani, et al., Study of Silybinin Plant Effective Substance for use in targeted liposomal nanoparticles in the treatment of liver cancer, Archives of Pharmacy Practice, (2020) 11 (1) 35