Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Nuclear Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Young Researchers and Elite Club, Yassoj Branch, Islamic Azad University, Yasooj, Iran
Department of Health Management, Faculty of Health, Baqiyatullah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Necessary diet components are vitamins as if should be existed in the food. The B vitamins and vitamin C (water-soluble vitamins) are substances required for chemical processes and substances that occur within living organisms. In this research, a simple, rapid, and reliable method was developed to isolate and quantify a primary preservative compound (sodium benzoate), some water-soluble vitamins such as ascorbic acid (C) and five vitamin B compounds. An ODS column was used with a UV detector at different wavelengths at 35 °C. The mobile phase was pH 3.0 phosphate buffer-methanol at a flow rate of 1.0 mL min−1 in a gradient elution approach. The mentioned analytes above were separated in 40 min. The linearity, limit of detection (LOD), and limit of quantification (LOQ), accuracy, and instrument precision terms were used in the method validation. The correlation factor near 1 suggests that the developed method has a good linearity range. The results show that recovery percentage was < 99.480% for all compounds. The limit for mean percentage of recovery is 98-102%, and as all the values are within the limit, it can be concluded that the proposed method is accurate. The results showed no HPLC peaks that could disturb the determination of vitamins/preservatives. The data obtained in real sample analysis were consistent with the declared values. The data obtained from subjected multivitamin syrup sample into stress testing (forced degradation) confirmed that there was no interference effects in the quantification of the analytes.
- S. Poongothai, R. Ilavarasan, C. Simultaneous and accurate determination of vitamins B1, B6, B12 and alpha-lipoic acid in multivitamin capsule by reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatographic method. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 (2010) 133-139.
- K. Taguchi, E. Fukusaki, T. Bamba. Simultaneous analysis for water-and fat-soluble vitamins by a novel single chromatography technique unifying supercritical fluid chromatography and liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A., 1362 (2014) 270-
- A. Gliszczyńska-Świgło, I. Rybicka. Simultaneous determination of caffeine and water-soluble vitamins in energy drinks by HPLC with photodiode array and fluorescence Food analytical methods, 8 (2015) 139-146.
- A. Bendich, L. Machlin, O. Scandurra, G. Burton, D. Wayner. The antioxidant role of vitamin Advances in Free Radical Biology & Medicine., 2 (1986) 419-444.
- C.A. Calderón‐Ospina, M.O. Nava‐Mesa. B Vitamins in the nervous system: Current knowledge of the biochemical modes of action and synergies of thiamine, pyridoxine, and CNS neuroscience & therapeutics., 26 (2020) 5-13.
- JEdlR Ortí, M. Cuerda-Ballester, E. Drehmer, S. Carrera-Juliá, M. Motos-Muñoz, C. Cunha-Pérez, M. Benlloch, M.M. López-Rodríguez. Vitamin B1 Intake in Multiple Sclerosis Patients and its Impact on Depression Presence: A Pilot Study. Nutrients, 12 (2020)
- K. Sriram, W. Manzanares, K. Thiamine in nutrition therapy. Nutrition in Clinical Practice., 27 (2012) 41-50.
- N. Suwannasom, I. Kao, A. Pruß, R. Georgieva, H. BäumLer. Riboflavin: The health benefits of a forgotten natural vitamin. International Journal of Molecular Sciences., 21 (2020)
- M. Ashoori, A. Saedisomeolia. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) and oxidative stress: a review. British journal of nutrition 111 (2014) 1985-1991.
- D.R. Cardoso, S.H. Libardi, L.H. Skibsted. Riboflavin as a photosensitizer. Effects on human health and food quality. Food & Function., 3 (2012) 487-502.
- R.E. Hodges, M.A. Ohlson, W.B. Pantothenic acid deficiency in man. The Journal of clinical investigation., 37 (1958) 1642-1657.
- M.T. Melfi, D. Nardiello, N. Cicco, V. Candido, D. Simultaneous determination of water-and fat-soluble vitamins, lycopene and beta-carotene in tomato samples and pharmaceutical formulations: Double injection single run by reverse-phase liquid chromatography with UV detection. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis., 70 (2018) 9-17.
- Ž.T. Rakuša, A. Grobin, R. Roškar. A comprehensive approach for the simultaneous analysis of all main water-soluble vitamins in multivitamin preparations by a stability-indicating HPLC-DAD method. Food Chemistry., 337 (2021)
- J. Thangphatthanarungruang, A. Yakoh, R. Laocharoensuk, C. Chotsuwan, O. Chailapakul, W. High-efficient of graphene nanocomposite: Application to rapidly simultaneous identification and quantitation of fat-soluble vitamins in different matric samples. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry., 873 (2020) 114361.
- D. Ivanović, A. Popović, D. Radulović, M. Reversed-phase ion-pair HPLC determination of some water-soluble vitamins in pharmaceuticals. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis., 18 (1999) 999-1004.
- J. Romera, M. Ramirez, A. Determination of pantothenic acid in infant milk formulas by high performance liquid chromatography. Journal of dairy science., 79 (1996) 523-526.
- J. Ghasemi, B. Abbasi, A. Niazi, E. Nadaf, A. Simultaneous spectrophotometric multicomponent determination of folic acid, thiamine, riboflavin, and pyridoxal by using double divisor–ratio spectra derivative–zero crossing method. Analytical letters., 37 (2004) 2609-2623.
- I.G. David, M.A. Florea, O.G. Cracea, D.E. Popa, M. Buleandra, E.E. Iorgulescu, V. David, I.A. Badea, A.A. Ciucu. Voltammetric determination of B 1 and B 6 vitamins using a pencil graphite Chemical Papers., 69 (2015) 901-910.
- K Sasaki, H Hatate, R Tanaka: Determination of 13 vitamin B and the related compounds using HPLC with UV detection and application to food supplements. Chromatographia., 83 (2020) 839-851.
- P. Viñas, C. López-Erroz, N. Balsalobre, M. Hernández-Córdoba. Reversed-phase liquid chromatography on an amide stationary phase for the determination of the B group vitamins in baby foods. Journal of chromatography A., 1007 (2003) 77-84.
- O. Heudi, T. Kilinç, P. Fontannaz. Separation of water-soluble vitamins by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography with ultra-violet detection: application to polyvitaminated premixes. Journal of Chromatography A. 1070 (2005) 49-56.
- P. Moreno, V. Salvado. Determination of eight water-and fat-soluble vitamins in multi-vitamin pharmaceutical formulations by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of chromatography A., 870 (2000) 207-215.
- R. Sistla, V. Tata, Y. Kashyap, D. Chandrasekar, P. Diwan. Development and validation of a reversed-phase HPLC method for the determination of ezetimibe in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis., 39 (2005) 517-522.
- DC Woollard, HE Rapid determination of thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, and niacinamide in infant formulas by liquid chromatography. Journal of AOAC International., 85 (2002) 945-951.
- S. Albala, M.T. Veciana-Nogue, A. Determination of water-soluble vitamins in infant milk by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A., 778 (1997) 247-253.
- I. Almagro, M. San Andres, S. Determination of water-soluble vitamins in pharmaceutical preparations by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with a mobile phase containing sodium dodecylsulphate andn-propanol. Chromatographia., 55 (2002) 185-188.
- K. Simultaneous determination of nicotinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate and riboflavin in multivitamin with minerals tablets by reversed‐phase ion‐pair high performance liquid chromatography. Biomedical Chromatography., 16 (2002) 504-507.
- M. Musuluri, S.V. Peruri, H. Bollikolla, K. A RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of Silymarin and Thiamine in bulk and pharmaceutical forms. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry., 5 (2012) IV.
- M. Franco, R. Jasionowska, E. Application of CZE method in routine analysis for determination of B-complex vitamins in pharmaceutical and veterinary preparations. International journal of analytical chemistry., (2012) 2012.
- W.A. Behrens, R. Madère. A highly sensitive high-performance liquid chromatography method for the estimation of ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acid in tissues, biological fluids, and foods. Analytical biochemistry., 165 (1987) 102-107.
- J.T. Vanderslice, D.J. Higgs: HPLC analysis with fluorometric detection of vitamin C in food samples. Journal of chromatographic science., 22 (1984) 485-489.
- H. Iwase. Routine high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of ascorbic acid in foods using L-methionine for the pre-analysis sample stabilization. Talanta., 60 (2003) 1011-1021.
- N. Furusawa. Rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic identification/quantification of total vitamin C in fruit drinks. Food control., 12 (2001) 27-29.
- V. Gökmen, N. Kahraman, N. Demir, J. Acar. Enzymatically validated liquid chromatographic method for the determination of ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acids in fruit and vegetables. Journal of Chromatography A., 881 (2000) 309-316.
- S.S. Mitic, D.A. Kostic, D. Naskovic-okic, M.N. Mitic. Rapid and reliable HPLC method for the determination of vitamin C in pharmaceutical samples. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research., (2011)
- I. Klimczak, A. Gliszczyńska-Świgło. Comparison of UPLC and HPLC methods for determination of vitamin C. Food chemistry., 175 (2015) 100-105.
- J.A. Timmons, J.C. Meyer, D.J. Steible, S.P. Assenza. Reverse phase liquid chromatographic assay for calcium pantothenate in multivitamin preparations and raw materials. Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists., 70 (1987) 510-513.
- D.C. Woollard, H.E. Indyk, S.K. Christiansen. The analysis of pantothenic acid in milk and infant formulas by HPLC. Food Chemistry., 69 (2000) 201-208.
- R Ekıncı: The effect of fermentation and drying on the water-soluble vitamin content of tarhana, a traditional Turkish cereal food. Food chemistry., 90 (2005) 127-132.
- M. Mahboubifar, Z. Sobhani, G. Dehghanzadeh, K. A comparison between UV spectrophotometer and high-performance liquid chromatography method for the analysis of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in food products. Food Analytical Methods., 4 (2011) 150-154.
- M. Grembecka, P. Baran, A. Błażewicz, Z. Fijałek, P. Szefer. Simultaneous determination of aspartame, acesulfame-K, saccharin, citric acid and sodium benzoate in various food products using HPLC–CAD–UV/DAD. European Food Research and Technology., 238 (2014) 357-
- T.H.H. Le, T.H. Phung, Le DC. Development and validation of an HPLC method for simultaneous assay of potassium guaiacolsulfonate and sodium benzoate in pediatric oral Journal of analytical methods in chemistry., (2019) 2019.
- S. Bäurer, W. Guo, S. Polnick, M. Lämmerhofer: Simultaneous separation of water-and fat-soluble vitamins by selective comprehensive HILIC× RPLC (high-resolution sampling) and active solvent modulation. Chromatographia., 82 (2019) 167-180.
- C. Jimenez, R. De La Torre, M. Ventura, J. Segura, R. Ventura. Reviewer Guidance, Validation of Chromatographic Methods Reviewer Guidance, Validation of Chromatographic Methods, 1994. Journal of chromatography B, Analytical technologies in the biomedical and life sciences., 843 (2006) 84-93.
- S. Vidović, B. Stojanović, J. Veljković, L. Pražić-Arsić, G. Roglić, D. Manojlović. Simultaneous determination of some water-soluble vitamins and preservatives in multivitamin syrup by validated stability-indicating high-performance liquid chromatography method. Journal of chromatography A., 1202 (2008) 155-162.
- M.L. de Godoy Bertanha, F.R. Lourenço. Risk of false decisions in chromatographic and spectrometric identification of chemical compounds. Measurement., 183 (2021)