Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Physical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University, P.M.B.1045, Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria
According to the world health organization (WHO) reports, cancer is thought to be the condition that causes the most fatalities after coronary disease, and by 2030, thirteen million deaths are anticipated to be recorded. In this research, molecular docking approach was utilized in designing more potent phthalazine derivatives as VEGFR-2 inhibitors. The pharmacological properties of the designed compounds were predicted to avoid drug failure after production. Before the start of the process, the docking protocol of the algorithm utilized in this work was validated by redocking the co-crystallized ligand (Sorafenib) with the initial VEGFR-2 binding site. The root mean square deviation (RMSD) score computed between the superimposed complexes of initial and redocked poses of Sorafenib was found to be 1.03Å. Moreover, the binding affinities of Sorafenib (MolDock score = -144.289 Kcal/mol, Re-rank score = -113.368 Kcal/mol) were utilized as a yardstick for the adoption of lead molecules among which compounds 21 and 22 with binding affinities of -146.77, and -151.651 Kcal/mol MolDock scores and -115.096, and -115.757 Kcal/mol Re-rank scores exceeding that of Sorafenib were explored. Compound 22 was utilized as a design template from which five hypothetical compounds with binding affinities ranging from -159.014 to -169.245 Kcal/mol MolDock scores and -121.591 to -134.697 Kcal/mol Re-rank scores were designed via the introduction of electron releasing groups to the ortho- and meta-positions of the p-chlorophenyl group. Pharmacological profiling leads to the affirmation of the designed inhibitors as potential drug candidates with welcoming ADMET properties with no serious toxicity challenges.
- Bray, J. Ferlay, I. Soerjomataram, I et al., Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin, 68 (2018) 394–424.
- R. Barbosa, D. Souza, M.M. Bernal, Costa _I. d CC. Cancer mortality in Brazil: temporal trends and predictions for the year 2030. Medicine, 94 (2015) e746.
- M. El-Newahie, N.S. Ismail, D.A. Abou El Ella, K.A. Abouzid, Quinoxaline-based scaffolds targeting tyrosine kinases and their potential anticancer activity. Arch Pharm, 349 (2016) 309–326.
- H. Abdullahi, A. Uzairu, G.A. Shallangwa, S. Uba, A.B. Umar, Pharmacokinetics Studies of some Diaryl Pyrimidinamine Derivatives as Anti-Cancer Agent: In-Silico Drug Design and Molecular Docking. Advanced Journal of Chemistry-Section A, 5(4) (2022) 320-332.
- H. Abdullahi, A. Uzairu, G.A. Shallangwa, S. Uba, A.B. Umar, Computational modeling, ligand‑based drug design, drug‑likeness and ADMET properties studies of series of chromen‑2‑ones analogues as anti‑cancer agents. Bul Nat Res Cent, 46 (2022) 177.
- Thomsen, M.H. Christensen, MolDock: a new technique for high accuracy molecular docking. J Med Chem, 49 (11) (2006) 3315–3321.
- T. Ibrahim, A. Uzairu, G.A. Shallangwa, S. Uba, Molecular docking investigation and pharmacokinetic properties prediction of some anilinopyrimidines analogues as egfr T790m tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Egyptian journal of basic and applied sciences 8(1) (2021) 203–213.
- M. Benhander A.A. Abdusalam, Identification of Potential Inhibitors of SARS‑CoV‑2 Main Protease from Allium roseum L. Molecular Docking Study. Chemistry Africa 5(2021)57-67.
- Y. Meng, H.X. Zhang, M. Mezei, M. Cui, Molecular docking: a powerful approach for structure-based drug discovery. Curr Comput Aided Drug Des, 7(2) (2011) 146–157.
- M. Abou-Seri M.E. Wagdy, M.A. Mamdouh, A.A. Dalal, 1-Piperazinylphthalazines as potential VEGFR-2 inhibitors and anticancer agents: Synthesis and in vitro biological evaluation. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, (2016).
- H. Abdullahi, A. Uzairu, G.A. Shallangwa et al, Structure Based Design of Some Novel 3-Methylquinoxaline Derivatives Through Molecular Docking and Pharmacokinetics Studies as Novel VEGFR-2 Inhibitors. Chemistry Africa, 5(2022)1967-1978.
- McTigue, B.W. Murray, J.H. Chen, Y. Deng R.S. Kania, Molecular Conformations, Interactions, and Properties Associated with Drug Efficiency and Clinical Performance Among Vegfr Tk Inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109 (2012) 18281.
- U. Fabian, G.A. Shallangwa, A. Uzairu I. Abdulkadir, A combined 2D and 3D QSAR modeling, molecular docking study, design, and pharmacokinetic profiling of some arylimidamide-azole hybrids as superior L. donovani inhibitors. Bul Nat Res Cent, 46 (189) (2022) 1-24.
- H. Abdullahi, U. Adamu, G.S. Adamu et al, In-silico activity prediction, structure-based drug design, molecular docking and pharmacokinetic studies of selected quinazoline derivatives for their antiproliferative activity against triple negative breast cancer (MDA-MB231) cell line. Bull Natl Res Cent, 46 (2022) 2.
- H. Sagiru, U. Adamu, M.T. Ibrahim, A.B. Umar, Chemo-informatics activity prediction, ligand based drug design, Molecular docking and pharmacokinetics studies of some series of 4, 6-diaryl-2-pyrimidinamine derivatives as anti-cancer agents. Bull Natl Res Cent 45 (2021) 167.
- Tian, J. Wang, Y. Li, D. Li, L. Xu, T. Hou, The application of in silico drug-likeness predictions in pharmaceutical research. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 86 (2015) 2–10.
- E. Adeniji, D.E. Arthur, A. Mustapha, H. Abdurrashid, Quantitative Structure–Activity Relationship Model, Molecular Docking Simulation and Computational Design of Some Novel Compounds Against DNA Gyrase Receptor. Chemistry Africa, 3(2020)391-408.
- A. Umar, A. Uzairu, G.A. Shallangwa et al., Computational evaluation of potent 2 (1Himidazol- 2-yl) pyridine derivatives as potential V600E-BRAF inhibitors. Egypt J Med Hum Genet, 21(1) (2020) 67.
- Daina, O. Michielin, V. Zoete, SwissADME: a free web tool to evaluate pharmacokinetics, drug-likeness and medicinal chemistry friendliness of small molecules. Sci Rep, 7(1) (2017) 42717.
- Azam, A.M. Madi, H.I. Ali, Molecular Docking and Prediction of Pharmacokinetic Properties of Dual Mechanism Drugs that Block MAO-B and Adenosine A2A Receptors for the Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. J. Young Pharm, 4 (2012) 184–192.
- Shaik, S.P. Gupta, T. Zafar, K. Anita, QSAR and Molecular Docking Studies on a Series of 1-Amino-5H-pyrido [4, 3-b]indol-4-carboxamides Acting as Janus Kinase 2 (JAK2) Inhibitors. Lett. Drug Des. Discov, 15 (2018) 169–180.
- Šrejber V. Navrátilová, M. Paloncýová, V. Bazgier, et al., Membrane-attached mammalian cytochromes P450: An overview of the membrane's effects on structure, drug binding, and interactions with redox partners. J. Inorg. Biochem, 183 (2018) 117–136.
- Dennis, K.V. Smith, S.M. Tristan, D. Li, Clearance in drug design. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.62(5) (2019) 2245-2255.
- M. Valério, In-silico toxicology for the pharmaceutical science. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 241(3) (2009) 356-70.
- F. Wasfy, A.A. Aly, M.S. Behalo, N. S. Mohamed, Synthesis of novel phthalazine derivatives as pharmacological activities. J Heterocyclic Chem (2019) 1–14.