Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Chemistry, Al-Qalam University, Katsina, Katsina State Nigeria.
Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State Nigeria.
In traditional medicine, the leaves of Senna mimosoides, has been used to cure oedema and breastfeeding poisoning in newborns. The animal model experiment included a total of twenty-five (25) Wistar albino rats of both sexes, with A (control) receiving 0.2 ml of normal saline. B, C and D received 100, 250 and 500 mg/kg of the methanolic extract respectively, and E receiving 25 mk/kg of the indomethacin standard drug. Preliminary phytochemical screening of the Senna mimisoides methanolic leaves extract indicated the presence of ten (10) different secondary metabolites, including; carbohydrates, glycosides, tannins, reducing sugars, phenols, steroids, terpenoids, saponins, alkaloids and flavonoids. When compared to the control, the total leukocyte count of the groups treated with various dosages of extracts increased in a dose-dependent manner, whereas the group treated with indomethacin fell dramatically. The extract dramatically increased leukocyte mobilization, according to the findings. The results of this investigation showed that the methanolic leaves extract of Senna mimosoides contains medically relevant bioactive components, indicating that it can be used in traditional medicine to treat ailments. The anti-inflammatory property of the extract is not at the level of leuckocyte mobilization. According to this study, however, the extract’s ability to stimulate leukocytes implies that it may have a function in immunological response.
- A. Akinpelu, and T.M. Onakoya (2006) Antimicrobial activities of medicinal plants used in folklore remedies in south-western. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5:1078-1081.
- C. Akinmoladun, E.O., Ibukun, E., Afor, E.M. Obuotor, and E.O. Farombi (2007) Phytochemical constituent and antioxidant activity of extract from the leaves of Ocimum gratissimum. Science Research Essay, 2: 163-166.
- Ciulci (1994) Methodology for the analysis of vegetable drugs chemical industries branch, Division of industrial operations. UNIDO, Romania,, Pp 24-67.
- Clark (2002) Leukocyte function in inflammation and immunity. McGraw Hill Publishers. Pp. 1-8.
- Dai, and R. J. (2010) Mumper. Plant phenolics: Extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties. Molecules, 15:7313-7352.
- C. Dale, L. Boxer and C.W. Liles (2008) The phagocytes: neutrophils and monocytes. Blood, 112: 935-945.
- C. Dweck, and D. Mitchell (2002) Emblicaofficinalis [Syn: PhyllanthusEmblica] or Amla: the Ayurvedic wonder. Chesham Chemicals Ltd. London..
- N. Ekwueme, O.A. Oje, O.F.C. Nwodo, and N.F. Ozoemena (2011) Anti-inflammatory capacity of the methanolic leaf extract of Senna mimosoides on inhibition of rat oedema, platelet aggregatory activity and prostaglandin synthase activity. Journal of Medecinal Plants Research, 5(14):3028-3036.
- N. Ekwueme, O.A. Oje, N.F. Ozoemena and O.F.C. Nwodo (2011) Anti-inflammatory effect of the methanolic leaf extract ofSenna mimosoides in membrane stabilization and inhibition of phospholipase A2 activity. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 4(7):1973-1976.
- W. Fahey (2005) Moringaoleifera: A review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, therapeutic, and prophylactic properties. Trees Life Journal, 15(1):1-15.
- E. Freedman and J. Loscalzo (2002) Platelet-monocyte aggregate, bridging thrombosis and inflammation. Circulation, 105: 2130-2132,
- H. Goh, C.H., Chuah, J.S.L. Mok and E. Soepadmo (1995) Malaysian medicinal plants for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Selangor DarulEhsan: Pelanduk Publication. Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia.
- , Gawaz, H. Langer and A.E. May (2005) Platelet in inflammation and atherogenesis. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 115(12):3378-84. Doi:1172/JC127196
- B. Harbourne (1998) Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Technique of Plant Analysis. 2nd edition London: Chapman and Hall Ltd. Pp. 282.
- Huang, Y. Yu, W. Cheng, C.O. Yang, E. Fu and C. Chu (2010) Immunosuppressive effect of quercetin on dendritic cell activation and function. The Journal of Immunology, 184: 001–008
- O. Igwenyi, C.E. Offor, D.A. Ajah, O.C. Nwankwo, J.I. Ukaomah and P.M. Aja (2011) Chemical compositions of Ipomea aquatic (Green Kangkong). International Journal of Pharmacy and Biology, 4:594-598.
- Jawwieri, S. Chlopicki and R. J. Gryglewski (2002) Interaction between human platelets and eosinophils are mediated by selectin-p. Journal of Pharmacology, 54: 157-160
- P. Joy, J. Thomas, S. Mathew, and B.P. Skaria (1998) Medicinal plants. Keriala publishers, pp. 1-211.
- Krishnaiah, T. Devi, A. Bono, and R. Sarbatly (2009) Studies on phytochemical constituent of six Malaysian medicinal plants. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, 3:67-72.
- V.P. Kumar, and S.N. Subrahmanyam (2013) Phytochemical analysis, in-vitro screening for antimicrobial and anthelmintic activity of combined hydroalcoholic seed extracts of four selected folklore indian medicinal plants. Der Pharmacia Lettre, 5(1):168-176.
- Liu, and J. Hong (2002) Role of microglia in inflammation-mediated neurodegenerative diseases: Mechanisms for therapeutic intervention. The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 304(1): 1-7.
- Lorke (1983) A new approach to practical acute toxicity testing. Archeology of Toxicology, 54:275-287.
- A. Musa, O.F.C. Nwodo, and E. Ojogbane (2011) Phytochemical, antibacterial and toxicity studies of the methanolic extract of Euclayptus camaldulensis Dehnh. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research, 1(3): 1-10.
- S. Nayak, S.S. Raju, F.A. Orette, and A.V.C. Rao (2007) Effects of Hibiscus rosasinensis L (Malvaceae) on wound healing activity: A preclinical study in a spraguedawley rat. International Journal of Low and Extreme Wounds, 6(2): 76-81.
- A. Nwogu, C.U. Igwe, and A.A. Emejulu (2008) Effects of Landolphiaowariensis leaf extract on the liver function profile and haemoglobin concentration of albino rats. African Journal of Biochemistry Research, 2(12): 240-242.
- E. Okwu (2004) Phytochemicals and vitamin content of indenous species of southeastern Nigeria. Journal of Sustaining Agricultural Environment, 6:30-37.
- E. Okwu, and C. Josiah (2006) Evaluation of the chemical composition of two Nigerian medicinal plants. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(4):357-361.
- T. Olaleye (2007) Cytotoxicity and antibacterial activity of methanolic extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 1(1):009-013.
- Puga, M., Cols, C. M. Barra, B. He, L. Cassis, and M. Gentile (2012) B cell-helper neutrophils stimulate the diversification and production of immunoglobulin in the marginal zone of the spleen. Natural Immunology, 13:170–80.
- F. Raffauf (1996) Alkaloids: A guide to their discovery and distribution. Hawkworth Press, Inc. New York..
- A. Ribeiro, C.A. Flores, F.Q. Cunha, and S.H. Ferreira (1991) IL-8 causes in vivo neutrophil migration by a cell dependent mechanism. Immunology, 73:472-477.
- Schuier, H. Sies, B. Billek, and H. Fischer (2005) Cocoa-related flavonoids inhibit CFTR-mediated chloride transport across T84 human colon epithelia. Journal of Nutrition, 135(10): 2320-2325.
- I. Simon, Z. Chen, P. Seifert, E. R. Edelman, C. M. Ballantype, and C. Rogers (2000) Decreased neointimal formation in Mac-1 mice reveal a role for inflammation in vascular repair after angioplasty. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 105: 293-300.
- Sofowora (1993) Medicinal plants and traditional medicines in Africa. John Wiley and Sons, Chishester New York, Pp 34-36.
- A. Vega, and A.L. Corbí (2006) Human macrophage activation: Too many functions and phenotypes for a single cell type. Immunologia, 25:248-272.
- N.S. Yadav, and M. Agarwala (2011), Phytochemical analysis of some medicinal plants. Journal of Phytology, 3(12): 10-14.
- Tukur, N.M. Musa, H. A. Bello and N.A. Sani (2020) Determination of the Phytochemical Constituents and Antifungal Properties of Annona senegalensis Leaves (African Custard Apple). ChemSearch Journal, 11(1): pp. 16. http://www.ajol.info/index.php/csj