Document Type : Original Research Article
Department of Chemistry, Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
Department of Plant Resources, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal
Research Center for Applied Science and Technology (RECAST), Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
The essential oil was extracted from the leaves of Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush)by hydro-distillation using a Clevenger apparatus. The component analysis of the oil was carried out by GC-MS technique, which showed eucalyptol (56.47%), α-pinene (18.80%), and D-limonene (9.91%), as the major compounds in C. citrinus oil. The physicochemical parameters such as yield percentage, specific gravity, refractive index, optical rotation, acid value, saponification value, and ester value were determined. The antioxidant activities of extracting oils were determined by DPPH assay and the radical scavenging activity (IC50) value was calculated. The remarkable free radical scavenging effect was observed in bottlebrush oil with IC50 = 390.73 µg/mL. Bottlebrush oil (50% and 100%) exhibited antimicrobial activity against all the four selected strains of bacteria (E. coli, S. aureus, B. subtilis, S. dysenteriae) as well as fungi (Candida albicans).
- N.L. Bhandari, K.B. Kunwar Chhetri, D.P. Pandey, and K.K. Nayak, Study of oil content in fruits of wild olive (Olea caspidata Wall. Ex G. Don) and its potential commercialization in Nepal. Journal of Nepal Chemical Society, 36 (2017) 1-7.
- G.R. Gyawali, B. Dahal, R. Gautam, S. Shrestha, S. Joshi, A. Luitel and D. Khanal, Phytochemical studies on traditional medicinal plants of Nepal and their formulations. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy, and Allied Sciences, 3 (2014) 189-203.
- T. Mahmoud and S. Gairola, Traditional knowledge and use of medicinal plants in the eastern desert of Egypt: a case study from Wadi El-Gemal national park. Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies, 1 (2013) 10-17.
- B. Ali, N.A. Al-Wabel, S. Shams, A. Ahmed, S.A. Khan, and F. Anwar, Essential oils used in aromatherapy: a systematic review. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 5 (2015) 1-11.
- D.J. Newman and G.M. Cragg, Natural products as sources of new drugs over the last 25 years. Journal of Natural Product, 70 (2007) 461-477.
- O.A. EL-Shahaby, M.M. El-Zayat, R. Rabei and H.S. Aldesuquy, Phytochemical constituents, antioxidant activity and antimicrobial potential of Pulicaria incisa (lam.) DC as a folk medicinal plant. Progress in Chemical and Biochemical Research,2(4) (2019) 222-227.
- S.K. Srivastava, A. Ahamad, K.V. Syamsunder, K.K. Aggarwal and S.P.S. Khanuja, Essential oil composition of Callistemon Viminalis leaves from India. Flavor and Fragrance Journal, 18 (2003) 361-363.
- N. Aweke and S. Yeshanew, Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oil of Callistemon citrinus from Ethiopia. European Journal of Medicinal Plants, 17 (2016) 1-7.
- R. Sukla, P. Singh, B. Prakash and N.K. Dupey, Antifungal, alfatoxin inhibition and antioxidant activity of Callistemon lanceolatus (Sm.) sweet essential oil and its major component 1,8-Cineole against fungal isolates from chick pea seeds. Food Control, 25 (2012) 27-33.
- T.E. Hagr and I. A. Adam, Phytochemical analysis, antibacterial and antioxidant activities of essential oil from Hibiscus sabdariffa (L) Seeds, (Sudanese Karkadi). Progress in Chemical and Biochemical Research, 3 (2020) 194-201.
- S. Shrestha, A. Poudel, P. Satyal, and N.S. Dosoky, Chemical composition and biological activity of the leaf of essential oil of Callistemon citrinus from Nepal. American Journal of Essential Oil and Natural Products, 2 (2015) 29-33.
- R. Kumar, A. Gupta, A. K. Singh, A. Bishayee and A. K. Pandey, The antioxidant and antihyperglycemic activities of bottle brush plant (Callistemon laceolatus) stem extracts. Medicines, 7(2020) 1-16.
- R.A. Larayetan, O.O. Okoh, A. Sadimenko and Anthony I. Okoh, Terpene constituents of the aerial parts, phenolic content, antibacterial potential, free radical scavenging and antioxidant activity of Callistemon citrinus (Curtis) Skeels (Myrtaceae) from Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 17 (2017) 1-9.
- O.O. Oyedeji, O.A. Lawal, F.O. Shode and A.O. Oyedeji, Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of the essential oils of Callistemon citrinus and Callistemon viminalis from South Africa. Molecules, 14 (2009) 1990-1998.
- R. Larayetan , Z.S. Ololade, O.O. Ogunmola and A. Ladokun, Phytochemical constituents, antioxidant, cytotoxicity, antimicrobial, antitrypanosomal, and antimalarial potentials of the crude extracts of Callistemon citrinus. Evid Based Complement Alternative Medicine, 2019 (2019) 1-14.
- P.K. Goyal, R. Jain, S. Jain and A. Sharma, A review on biological and phytochemical investigation of plant genus Callistemon. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2 (2012) 1906-1909.
- M.I. Abdelhady and H.A.H. Aly, Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Callistemon comboynensis essential oil. Free Radicals and Antioxidants, 2 (2012) 37-41.
- M.Z.M. Salem, H.M. Ali, N.A. El-Shanhorey and A.A. Megeed, Evaluation of extracts and essential oil from Callistemin viminalis leaves, antibacterial and antioxidant activities, total phenolic and flavonoid contents. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 6 (2013) 785-791.
- M.M. Sourestani, E. Piri, J. Mottaghipisheh, S. Vitalini and M. Iriti, Monthly changes in content and compositions of oil of Callistemon citrinus: a comparison study. Natural Product Research, (2020) 1-7.
- E. Adewole, B.O. Ajiboye, O.O. Idris, O.A. Ojo, A. Onikan, O.T. Ogunmodede and D.F. Adewumi, Phytochemical, antimicrobial and GC-MS of African nutmeg (Monodora myristica). International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention, 2 (2013) 25-32.
- R.K. Yadav, L. Bhandari, P. Yadav and M. Rana, GC-MS analysis of essential oil of Pogostemon cablin Benth. (Patchouli oil) of Nepal. Journal of Plant Resources, 15 (2017) 61-65.
- M.P. Paudyal, M. Rajbhandari, P. Basnet, S. Yahara and M. B. Gewali. Quality assessment of the essential oils from Nardostachys jatamansi (d. don) dc and Nardostachys chinensis batal obtained from Kathmandu valley market. Scientific World, 10 (2012) 13-16.
- S. Agnihotri and S. Wakode, Antimicrobial activity of essential oil and various extracts of fruits of greater Cardamom, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 72 (2010) 657-659.
- S. Gupta, A. Kumar, K. Srivastava, S.K. Srivastava, S. Iuqman, A. Maurya, M.P. Darokar, K.V. Syamsundar and S.P.S. Khanuja, Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Callistemon comboynensis (ana) C. citrinus leaf essential oils from the northern plains of India. Natural Product Communications, 3 (2008) 1931-1934.
- S.K. Srivastava, A. Ahmad, N. Jain, K.K. Aggarwal and K.V. Syamasunder, Essential oil composition of Callistemon citrinus leaves from the lower region of Himalayas. Journal of Essential Oil Research, 13 (2000) 359-361.
- S.S. Cheng, J-Y. Liu, Y-R. Hsui and S-T. Chang, Chemical polymorphism and antifungal activity of essential oils from leaves of different provenances of indigenous Cinnamom (Cinnamomum osmophloeum). Bioresource Technology, 97 (2006) 306-312.
- S.M. Seyydnejad, M. Niknejad, I. Darabpoor and H. Motamedi, Antibacterial activity of hydro-alcoholic extract of Callistemon citrinus and Albiziiia lebbeck. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 7 (2010) 13-16.
- I.E. Cock, Antimicrobial activity of Callistemon citrinus and Callistemon salignus methanolic extracts. Pharmacognosy Communications, 2 (2012) 1-8.
- G. Laganà, D. Barreca, A. Smeriglio, M.P. Germanò, V.D. Angelo, A. Calderaro, E. Bellocco and D. Trombetta, Evaluation of anthocyanin profile, antioxidant, cytoprotective, and anti-angiogenic properties of Callistemon citrinus flowers. Plants, 9 (2020) 1-14.
- D.P. Bhandari, R. Ranjitkar and L. Bhandari, Quantitative determination of the antioxidant potential of five selected essential oils of Nepalese origin. Journal of Plant Resources, 16 (2018) 84-89.
- A.R. Mohadam, Anti-oxidant activity and chemical composition of Rosmarinus officinalis (L) essential oil from Iran. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants, 6 (2015) 1490-1494.
- P. Tu and S. Tawa, Anti-oxidant, anti-aging and anti-malanogenic properties of the essential oils from two varieties of Alpinia zerumbet. Molecules,10 (2015) 1623-1674.