Document Type : Review Article
Department of Chemistry, Sanjivani Arts, Commerce and Science College, Kopargaon 423 603, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra, India
Department of Chemistry, G.M.D Arts, B.W Commerce and Science College, Sinnar, 422 103, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra, India
Department of Chemistry, S.N. Arts, D.J.M. Commerce and B.N.S. Science College, Sangamner 422 605, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra, India
Among diverse non-metal nanoparticles (NPs), sulfur nanoparticles (SNPs) are one of the most significant and intriguing nanomaterials. An important concern about the synthesis of SNPs is the formation of hazardous wastes, noxious by-products and ruinous pollutants. The best solution to mitigate and/or exclude these noxious substances are plant mediated biosynthesis of SNPs. Eco-benevolent SNPs from plant extracts have been identified as precious nanomaterial in various agricultural, biomedical and catalytic applications including lithium-sulfur batteries, pesticides, fungicides, carbon nanotube modification, gas sensor and neutron capture in cancer therapy because of their splendid performance and selectivity. They have captured the consideration of researchers owing to their sustainable, economical, non-noxious, convenient, green and eco-benevolent nature. This review attempts to cover the recent advancements in the biosynthesis, characterization techniques and applications of biogenic SNPs in environmental and biomedical systems. Furthermore, the stability of biosynthesized SNPs and mechanism of their formation are briefly discussed.
- M.B. Gawande, A. Goswami, F.X. Felpin, T. Asefa, X. Huang, R. Silva, X. Zou, R. Zboril, R.S. Varma, Cu and Cu-based nanoparticles: synthesis and applications in catalysis. Chem. Rev. 116 (2016) 3722-3811.
- S. Matussin, M.H. Harunsani, A.L. Tan, M.M. Khan, Plant-Extract-Mediated SnO2 Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Applications. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 8 (2020) 3040-3054.
- N. Tarannum, Y.K. Gautam, Facile green synthesis and applications of silver nanoparticles: a state-of-the-art review. RSC Advances. 9 (2019) 34926-34948.
- R. Ghosh Chaudhuri, S. Paria, Core/shell nanoparticles: classes, properties, synthesis mechanisms, characterization, and applications. Chem. Rev. 112(2012) 2373-2433.
- S. Ghotekar, A review on plant extract mediated biogenic synthesis of CdO nanoparticles and their recent applications. Asian Journal of Green Chemistry. 3 (2019) 187-200.
- T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, K. Pagar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, A review on bio-synthesized Co3O4 nanoparticles using plant extracts and their diverse applications. Journal of Chemical Reviews. 1 (2019) 260-270.
- A. Nikam, T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, K. Pagar, S. Pansambal, A review on plant extract mediated green synthesis of zirconia nanoparticles and their miscellaneous applications. Journal of Chemical Reviews. 1 (2019) 154-163.
- S. Ghotekar, Plant extract mediated biosynthesis of Al2O3 nanoparticles-a review on plant parts involved, characterization and applications. Nanochemistry Research. 4 (2019) 163-169.
- G. Oza, A. Reyes-Calderón, A. Mewada, L.G. Arriaga, G.B. Cabrera, D.E. Luna, H.M. Iqbal, M. Sharon, A. Sharma, Plant-based metal and metal alloy nanoparticle synthesis: a comprehensive mechanistic approach. Journal of Materials Science. (2020) 1-22.
- S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, S.P. Pawar, T. Pagar, R. Oza, S. Bangale, Biological activities of biogenically synthesized fluorescent silver nanoparticles using Acanthospermum hispidum leaves extract. SN Applied Sciences. 1 (2019) 1342.
- P. Korde, S. Ghotekar, T. Pagar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, D. Mane, Plant Extract Assisted Eco-benevolent Synthesis of Selenium Nanoparticles-A Review on Plant Parts Involved, Characterization and Their Recent Applications. Journal of Chemical Reviews. 2 (2020) 157-168.
- Y.B. Aher, G.H. Jain, G.E. Patil, A.R. Savale, S.K. Ghotekar, D.M. Pore, S.S. Pansambal, K.K. Deshmukh, Biosynthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using leaves extract of Leucaena leucocephala L. and their promising upshot against diverse pathogens. International Journal of Molecular and Clinical Microbiology. 7 (2017) 776-786.
- K. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, T. Pagar, A. Nikam, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, D. Sanap, H. Dabhane, Antifungal activity of biosynthesized CuO nanoparticles using leaves extract of Moringa oleifera and their structural characterizations. Asian Journal of Nanosciences and Materials. 3 (2020) 15-23.
- D.R. Kamble, S.V. Bangale, S.K. Ghotekar, S.R. Bamane, Efficient synthesis of CeVO4 nanoparticles using combustion route and their antibacterial activity. Journal of Nanostructures. 8 (2018) 144-151.
- N.M. Ishak, S.K. Kamarudin, S.N. Timmiati, Green synthesis of metal and metal oxide nanoparticles via plant extracts: an overview. Materials Research Express. 6 (2019) 112004.
- L. Syedmoradi, M. Daneshpour, M. Alvandipour, F.A. Gomez, H. Hajghassem, K. Omidfar, Point of care testing: The impact of nanotechnology. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 87 (2017) 373-387.
- S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, K. Pagar, O. Pardeshi, R. Oza, Synthesis of CeVO4 nanoparticles using sol-gel auto combustion method and their antifungal activity. Nanochemistry Research. 3 (2018) 189-196.
- A. Savale, S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, O. Pardeshi, Green synthesis of fluorescent CdO nanoparticles using Leucaena leucocephala L. extract and their biological activities. J Bacteriol Mycol Open Access. 5 (2017) 00148.
- S.H. Gebre, M.G. Sendeku, New frontiers in the biosynthesis of metal oxide nanoparticles and their environmental applications: an overview. SN Applied Sciences. 1 (2019) 928.
- S. Ghotekar, A. Savale, S. Pansambal, Phytofabrication of fluorescent silver nanoparticles from Leucaena leucocephala L. leaves and their biological activities. Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology. 3 (2018) 95-105.
- T. Pagar, S. Ghotekar, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, B.P. Marasini, Facile Plant Extract Mediated Eco-Benevolent Synthesis and Recent Applications of CaO-NPs: A State-of-the-art Review. Journal of Chemical Reviews. 2 (2020) 201-210.
- S.K. Ghotekar, P.S. Vaidya, S.N. Pande, S.P. Pawar, Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using 3-methyl pyrazol 5-one (chemical reduction method) and its characterizations. Int. J. Multidis. Res and Deve. 2 (2015) 419-422.
- S.K. Ghotekar, S.N. Pande, S.S. Pansambal, D.S. Sanap, K.M. Mahale, B. Sonawane, Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using unripe fruit extract of Annona reticulata L. and its characterization. World J. Pharm. and Pharm. Sci. 4 (2015) 1304-1312.
- V. Hoseinpour, N. Ghaemi, Green synthesis of manganese nanoparticles: Applications and future perspective–A review. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 189 (2018) 234-243.
- S. Pansambal, K. Deshmukh, A. Savale, S. Ghotekar, O. Pardeshi, G. Jain, Y. Aher, D. Pore, Phytosynthesis and biological activities of fluorescent CuO nanoparticles using Acanthospermum hispidum L. extract. Journal of Nanostructures. 7 (2017) 165-174.
- S. Pansambal, S. Ghotekar, S. Shewale, K. Deshmukh, N. Barde, P. Bardapurkar, Efficient synthesis of magnetically separable CoFe2O4@SiO2 nanoparticles and its potent catalytic applications for the synthesis of 5-aryl-1, 2, 4-triazolidine-3-thione derivatives. Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology. 4 (2019) 174-186.
- S. Bangale, S. Ghotekar, Bio-fabrication of Silver nanoparticles using Rosa Chinensis L. extract for antibacterial activities. International Journal of Nano Dimension. 10 (2019) 217-224.
- S. Rajeshkumar, P. Naik, Synthesis and biomedical applications of cerium oxide nanoparticles–a review. Biotechnology Reports. 17 (2018) 1-5.
- S. Pansambal, S. Gavande, S. Ghotekar, R. Oza, K. Deshmukh, Green Synthesis of CuO Nanoparticles using Ziziphus Mauritiana L. Extract and Its Characterizations. Int. J. Sci. Res. in Sci. and Tech. 3 (2017) 1388-1392.
- S. Pansambal, S. Ghotekar, R. Oza, K. Deshmukh, Biosynthesis of CuO nanoparticles using aqueous extract of Ziziphus mauritiana L. leaves and their Catalytic performance for the 5-aryl-1, 2, 4-triazolidine-3-thione derivatives synthesis. Int. J. Sci. Res. Sci. Technol. 5 (2019) 122-128.
- E.A. Ilardi, E. Vitaku, J.T. Njardarson, Data-mining for sulfur and fluorine: An evaluation of pharmaceuticals to reveal opportunities for drug design and discovery: Mini perspective. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 57 (2014) 2832-2842.
- C.M. Griffith, J.E. Woodrow, J.N. Seiber, Environmental behavior and analysis of agricultural sulfur. Pest management science. 71 (2015) 1486-1496.
- B.B. Sadykov, N.N. Volynskova, S.S. Namazov, B.M. Beglov, Technology for manufacturing fertilizer “Superfos” containing nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur and calcium. Russian Journal of Applied Chemistry. 81 (2008) 1667-1672.
- G. Li, J. Sun, W. Hou, S. Jiang, Y. Huang, J. Geng, Three-dimensional porous carbon composites containing high sulfur nanoparticle content for high-performance lithium–sulfur batteries. Nature communications. 7 (2016) 1-0.
- K.J. Rao, S. Paria, Use of sulfur nanoparticles as a green pesticide on Fusarium solani and Venturia inaequalis phytopathogens. RSC advances. 3 (2013) 10471-10478.
- S.R. Choudhury, K.K. Nair KK, R. Kumar, R. Gogoi, C. Srivastava, M. Gopal, B.S. Subhramanyam, C. Devakumar, A. Goswami, Nanosulfur: a potent fungicide against food pathogen, Aspergillus niger. AIP Conference Proceedings. 1276 (2010) 154-157.
- R. Ahmadi, M.K. Amini, J.C. Bennett, Pt–Co alloy nanoparticles synthesized on sulfur-modified carbon nanotubes as electrocatalysts for methanol electrooxidation reaction. Journal of catalysis. 292 (2012) 81-89.
- P. Santiago, E. Carvajal, D. Mendoza, L. Rendon, Synthesis and structural characterization of sulfur nanowires. Microscopy and Microanalysis. 12 (2006) 690-691.
- Y. Lan, B. Deng, C. Kim, E.C. Thornton, H. Xu, Catalysis of elemental sulfur nanoparticles on chromium (VI) reduction by sulfide under anaerobic conditions. Environmental science & technology. 39 (2005) 2087-2094.
- I. Porras, Sulfur-33 nanoparticles: a Monte Carlo study of their potential as neutron capturers for enhancing boron neutron capture therapy of cancer. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 69 (2011) 1838-1841.
- S. Roy Choudhury, S. Roy, A. Goswami, S. Basu, Polyethylene glycol-stabilized sulphur nanoparticles: an effective antimicrobial agent against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy. 67 (2012) 1134-1137.
- S. Shankar, R. Pangeni, J.W. Park, J.W. Rhim, Preparation of sulfur nanoparticles and their antibacterial activity and cytotoxic effect. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 92 (2018) 508-517.
- F. Zahran, M. Hammadi, M. Al-dulaimi, M. Sebaiy, Potential Role of Sulfur Nanoparticles as Antitumor and Antioxidant in Mice. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 10 (2018) 7-26.
- L. Jaiswal, S. Shankar, J.W. Rhim, Carrageenan-based functional hydrogel film reinforced with sulfur nanoparticles and grapefruit seed extract for wound healing application. Carbohydrate polymers. 224 (2019) 115191.
- A.S. Deshpande, R.B. Khomane, B.K. Vaidya, R.M. Joshi, A.S. Harle, B.D. Kulkarni, Sulfur nanoparticles synthesis and characterization from H2S gas, using novel biodegradable iron chelates in W/O microemulsion. Nanoscale Research Letters. 3 (2008) 221.
- R.G. Chaudhuri, S. Paria, Synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles in aqueous surfactant solutions. Journal of colloid and interface science. 343 (2010) 439-446.
- W. Wang, Y.C. Lu, H. Huang, A.J. Wang, J.R. Chen, J.J. Feng, Solvent-free synthesis of sulfur-and nitrogen-co-doped fluorescent carbon nanoparticles from glutathione for highly selective and sensitive detection of mercury (II) ions. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 202 (2014) 741-747.
- M. Suleiman, M. Al-Masri, A. Al Ali, D. Aref, A. Hussein, I. Saadeddin, I. Warad, Synthesis of nano-sized sulfur nanoparticles and their antibacterial activities. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. 6 (2015) 513-518.
- M. Shamsipur, S.M. Pourmortazavi, M. Roushani, I. Kohsari, S.S. Hajimirsadeghi, Novel approach for electrochemical preparation of sulfur nanoparticles. Microchimica Acta. 173 (2011) 445-451.
- X.Z. Cheng, K. Cheng, J. Liu, X.F. Sun, Synthesis and characterizations of nanoparticle sulfur using eggshell membrane as template. Materials Science Forum. 675 (2011) 279-282.
- Y. Guo, Y. Deng, J. Zhao, Z. Wang, H. Zhang, Synthesis and characterization of sulfur nanoparticles by liquid phase precipitation method. Acta Chim Sinica. 63 (2005) 337-340.
- B. Meenatchi, V. Renuga, Protic ionic liquids assisted synthesis and characterization of sulfur nanoparticles and CdS and ZnS nanomaterials. Chemical Science Transactions. (2015) 577-587.
- X.Y. Xie, L.Y. Li, P.S. Zheng, W.J. Zheng, Y. Bai, T.F. Cheng, J. Liu, Facile synthesis, spectral properties and formation mechanism of sulfur nanorods in PEG-200. Materials Research Bulletin. 47 (2012) 3665-3669.
- X.Y. Xie, W.J. Zheng, Y. Bai, J. Liu, Cystine modified nano-sulfur and its spectral properties. Materials letters. 63 (2009) 1374-1376.
- L. Chen, L. Guo, Z. Li, H. Zhang, J. Lin, J. Huang, S. Jin, X. Chen, Towards intrinsic magnetism of graphene sheets with irregular zigzag edges. Scientific reports. 3 (2013) 1-6.
- E. Bura-Nakić, M. Marguš, D. Jurašin, I. Milanović, I. Ciglenečki-Jušić, Chronoamperometric study of elemental sulphur (S) nanoparticles (NPs) in NaCl water solution: new methodology for S NPs sizing and detection. Geochemical transactions. 16 (2015) 1-9.
- V.J. Kouzegaran, K. Farhadi, Green synthesis of Sulphur Nanoparticles assisted by a herbal surfactant in aqueous solutions. Micro & Nano Letters. 12 (2017) 329-334.
- N.M. Salem, L.S. Albanna, A.O. Abdeen, Q.I. Ibrahim, A.M. Awwad, Sulfur nanoparticles improves root and shoot growth of tomato. J. Agric. Sci. 8 (2016) 179.
- A.M. Awwad, N.M. Salem, A.O. Abdeen, Novel approach for synthesis sulfur (S-NPs) nanoparticles using Albizia julibrissin fruits extract. Adv. Mat. Lett. 6 (2015) 432-435.
- K. Khairan, Zahraturriaz, Z. Jalil, Green synthesis of sulphur nanoparticles using aqueous garlic extract (Allium sativum). Rasayan J. Chem., 12 (2019) 50-57.
- P. Paralikar, M. Rai, Bio-inspired synthesis of sulphur nanoparticles using leaf extract of four medicinal plants with special reference to their antibacterial activity. IET Nanobiotechnology. 12 (2017) 25-31.
- S. Najafi, S.M. Razavi, M. Khoshkam, A. Asadi, Effects of green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles from Cinnamomum zeylanicum barks on physiological and biochemical factors of Lettuce (Lactuca sativa). Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants. (2020) 1-2.
- R.M. Tripathi, R.P. Rao, T. Tsuzuki, Green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles and evaluation of their catalytic detoxification of hexavalent chromium in water. RSC advances. 8 (2018) 36345-36352.
- N.M. Salem, L.S. Albanna, A.M. Awwad, Q.M. Ibrahim, A.O. Abdeen, Green synthesis of nano-sized sulfur and its effect on plant growth. J. Agric. Sci. 8 (2016) 5539.
- G.A. Ragab, K.M. Saad-Allah, Green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles using Ocimum basilicum leaves and its prospective effect on manganese-stressed Helianthus annuus (L.) seedlings. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 191 (2020) 110242.
- N.M. Salem, L.S. Albanna, A.M. Awwad, Green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles using Punica granatum peels and the effects on the growth of tomato by foliar spray applications. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management. 6 (2016) 83-87.
- L.S. Albanna, N.M. Salem, A.M. Awwad, Seed germination and growth of cucumber (Cucumis sativus): effect of nano-crystalline sulfur. The Journal of Agricultural Science. 8 (2016) 219-225.
- L.S. Al Banna, N.M. Salem, G.A. Jaleel, A.M. Awwad, Green synthesis of sulfur nanoparticles using Rosmarinus officinalis leaves extract and nematicidal activity against Meloidogyne javanica. Chemistry International. 6 (2020) 137-143.
- A.M. Awwad, A.O. Abdeen, Phytochemical and Spectral Studies of Synthesis sulfur Nanoparticles using Sophora japonica Pods Extract. Journal of Advances in Chemistry. 11 (2015) 3426-3432.
- U. Holzwarth, N. Gibson, The Scherrer equation versus the 'Debye-Scherrer equation'. Nature nanotechnology. 6 (2011) 534.
- S. Ghotekar, H. Dabhane, S. Pansambal, R. Oza, P. Tambade, V. Medhane, A Review on Biomimetic Synthesis of Ag2O Nanoparticles using Plant Extract, Characterization and its Recent Applications, Ad. J. Chem. B, 2 (2020) 102-111.
- Y. Orooji, M. Ghanbari, O. Amiri, M. Salavati-Niasari, Facile fabrication of silver iodide/graphitic carbon nitride nanocomposites by notable photo-catalytic performance through sunlight and antimicrobial activity. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 389 (2020) 122079.
- M. Ghanbari, M. Salavati-Niasari, Tl4CdI6 nanostructures: facile sonochemical synthesis and photocatalytic activity for removal of organic dyes. Inorganic chemistry. 57 (2018) 11443-11455.
- S. Gholamrezaei, M. Ghanbari, O. Amiri, M. Salavati-Niasari, L.K. Foong, BaMnO3 nanostructures: Simple ultrasonic fabrication and novel catalytic agent toward oxygen evolution of water splitting reaction. Ultrasonics sonochemistry. 61 (2020) 104829.
- M. Ghanbari, M. Bazarganipour, M. Salavati-Niasari, Photodegradation and removal of organic dyes using cui nanostructures, green synthesis and characterization. Separation and Purification Technology. 173 (2017) 27-36.
- M. Ghanbari, F. Soofivand, M. Salavati-Niasari, Simple synthesis and characterization of Ag2CdI4/AgI nanocomposite as an effective photocatalyst by co-precipitation method. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 223 (2016) 21-28.
HOW TO CITE THIS ARTICLE
Ghotekar, S., Pagar, T., Pansambal, S., Oza, R., A Review on Green Synthesis of Sulfur Nanoparticles via Plant Extract, Characterization and its Applications, Ad. J. Chem. B, 2 (2020) 128-143.